Friday, April 29, 2011

The Beginning

I decided to start a blog so that my family and friends could follow me on this adventure. I also want it to help others who are looking to teach ESL in Korea. I hope I will be able to maintain it for the whole time I will be gone, as I have seen so many blogs that are never completed.

I have been working with a recruiter to find the perfect job for me in South Korea. I have finally been matched to a public elementary school in Pyeongtaek. The city is south of Seoul and is in the Gyeonggi Province.

I selected to go through the public school system because of the extra benefits opposed to the private schools. I went though GEPIK instead of EPIK because I would be able to start sooner, and I would not have to wait until August.  My contract is for one year.

The benefits include:
  • Apartment
  • Roundtrip airfare
  • 20 days paid vacation
Normally there is only 1 foreign teacher at a school; however, this school has a strong English program and has 6 other foreign teachers. My work hours will be from 8:30 to 4:30 Monday through Friday. 22 hours a week will be spent teaching. I will have a native co-teacher in the classroom. My start date is May 30th, which is about a month away. My time now will be spent on figuring out how to pack for a whole year in two suitcases!

4 comments:

  1. Hi! Nice blog! I found it while searching esl/korea info. I was wondering if you could share what recruiter you used and your experience, or if you recommend using more than one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There! The recruiter i worked with was http://teacheslkorea.com/. They can place you through GEPIK, EPIK, and private schools (which i don't recommend). The experience was great. It's ran by a canadian couple who works with a korean recruiter. They were there each step of the way and helped with any communication problems with the Korean recruiter. I only worked with one recruiter and did not have a problem finding a job. They actually just placed my sister at a school and it took less then a two weeks! They are having a problem placing her friend because of his ethnicity and because he is a boy. They said they could work with another korean recruiter if they cant find a job soon.

    I hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What ethnicity is your sisters friend? Is it easier to place females over males? Thanks for responding! Did you choose the first job you were offered? Stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! He is asian. Schools prefer white females from the US, but I did not have a problem finding a job and I am not white. I did not choose the first job I was offered because one was a public school and the other was in a rural area. I wanted to live somewhere that was big but not too big. I am really happy with my choice.

    ReplyDelete