Saturday, July 30, 2011

African Food

On Tuesday our school allowed us to leave early from school, so Brooke and I headed to Seoul. We planned to go to What the Book in Itaewon and have dinner there since there is such a large selection of foreign food.

When we left Pyeongtaek it was sunny, but not too hot. We took a bus to the bus station in Seoul. Booth Brooke and I took a nap on the bus, and when we woke up it was so dark and gloomy. We took the subway to Itaewon and by the time we got to see outside, the rain definitely started to fall. When we arrived to Itaewon you could hear the rain outside the station and people where in side waiting for it to pass. We didn't bring any umbrellas since the weather was so nice before we left. We left the station because we where meeting with a friend for dinner who had something latter to do that day and we did not have the luxury to wait for the rain to settle, which was good because I don't think the rain ever settled while we were there.

I quickly purchased an umbrella when we left the station because I had a white t-shirt. Brooke did not get one and was just going to stick it out. We were looking for Thai or Mexican food, but settled for some African food out desperation because of the rain. The restaurant was located next to hooker hill and definitely had a shady feeling to it. We all decided to get something different and share. I got plantains, Dermot had beef fried rice and Brooke was adventures and had some kind of soup dish.

For all of those who know me, know I love to try new foods. Well this was defiantly new to me, but unfortunately did not look appetizing. I tried the plantains first and then the rice. Finally I got to Brooke's dish, which was served with a white ball. The ball was starchy and I know it contained rice but other then that I don't know what it was. So we had to get some of the white stuff and dip it into the soup and eat it. The soup was not really soup. It had meat and fish inside and I am not really sure what else was in there but the flavor was not that good. It was gooey and had the consistency of snot. I tried it a few times and tried the rice and plantains, but ultimately was so grossed out by it that I couldn't eat any more. I have never been so disgusted over food in my life, but if you would have seen of gooey this was when you lifted your fork out of it and the way it separated like thick saliva or snot I am sure you would have not been able to eat too.

The rain continue to fall heavily all evening. I have never been in the rain when it falls this hard and actually I don't think I have ever seen it rain so hard for so long. There was even a point my new umbrella was leaking.  By the time we headed back home, poor Brooke looked like she was pushed in a pool as she was drenched with water.

I found this video of Seoul which was taken on Wednesday (a day later)
As a result of the rain there were deadly landslides in Seoul and chaos with the trains and subway as many stations where closed due to flooding. It has been said that this the most rain they have ever gotten in summer and because of it it is unusually cool for July. It is still forecasted to rain for the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment