Friday, May 20, 2011

10 Days and Counting

Everything is going by so fast now. I finally got my ticket purchased, which makes things more official. However, everything still seems so surreal. Maybe reality will hit me once I am in Korea haha. Everyone now knows that I will be leaving and reactions have been bitter sweet. I am starting to realize how hard it is going to say goodbye.

Last night we ran across a traditional Korean tea house in Koreatown called Hwa Sun Ji Tea House. I felt like it was a glimpse into the future. I had lotus tea and we shared the JunTong MoEum, which was a mix of Korean cookies, walnut cookie balls, and dried persimmon and walnut rolls.
Now the only thing to figure out is how I am going to be able to back for a whole year in a couple of suitcases. I will be flying with Asiana Airlines and their baggage allowance is 2 baggages not to exceed 44 lbs. each, and my carry-ons is not to exceed 22 lbs. The following is a list of things to bring that was recommended by people who live or have lived in Korea:
  • Slippers: Slippers are worn in the classrooms! I wish this could be implemented everywhere
  • Spices you like to cook with
  • Pocket Korean/English dictionary/phrase book 
  • A years worth of toothpaste: Korean toothpaste is very sugary 
  • A years worth of deodorant: I guess they don't use it
  • Enough clothes for all seasons it will be hard to find clothes since Koreans are so small
  • Enough shoes too for the same reason
  • Walking shoes
  • Not too much white clothes for the summer because of the unpredictable rain 
  • Wool thermos for the cold
  • Point it: Traveller's Language Kit (book) 
I have been working on getting everything on that list for the last week. I am still waiting for some stuff to be delivered. I found the wool thermos for $34 each on Amazon. Maybe once I start packing reality will set in :) 10 days till I leave!!!

2 comments:

  1. this list looks familiar. :)
    ~jennyfer hester (using my husband's email)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Yes! thanks for your input

    ReplyDelete