Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Why Korea?

I was recently asked why I chose to go to Korea. To be honest Korea was not on my radar until recently. I always dreamed about having the opportunity to teach English overseas, but when I looked into it after I graduated in 2007 it seemed like the jobs I found paid just enough to get by. I recently reconnected with a friend, who was teaching in Korea. I began to think about the possibility of me fulfilling my dream, and I started to look into working in Korea. I found out that Korea, China, and Japan pay the most for English teachers. Japan would have been my first choice, but I didn't know of a reliable recruiting agency, and I only had the desire to visit China.

Korea is a highly developed and stable country. The cost of living is low, which means I would have the opportunity to save money. Since November 23, 2010, tension between North and South Korea have been high due to the artillery firing. Although this is concerning, it does not appear to be a threat. The U.S. government still has not placed a travel warning. For now, it seems like things have calmed down, and I hope it stays that way.

After learning more about the country I quickly fell in love with Korea and everything it has to offer. I am excited for the next year and the adventures that await me.

No comments:

Post a Comment