Monday, May 16, 2011

I Got My Visa!!!

I received my Visa number from the school on Saturday. I still had to complete the E2 Visa process at my local Korean Consulate, which is in Los Angeles. On Monday, I called the Consulate and was advised that I did not need an appointment or an interview, so I went to the Consulate on Tuesday. My recruiter had told me I need the following: a copy of seal transcripts, the interview form, a medical statement form, one passport photo, the visa application, fee ($45), and passport for the Visa application.

When I arrived at the Consulate I had to go through a metal detector, which felt like it was just for show. My purse wasn't even searched. I then located a paper sign with the word VISA and an arrow pointing to the left. I proceed to turn the corner and there was a row of teller windows to the right. I was overwhelmed with the amount of activity that was going on to the left and did not quite understand the flow of things. I quickly ran to the security guard and asked where I needed to go for Visas. He told me I had to go the 2nd window. I got in line and there was only one person a head of me. I started to get a better look of the place and realized the window was clearly labeled with the word VISA over it.

My turn was up. The representative did not even look at me. I gave her all the paperwork. She took the Visa application and interview form and gave the rest back to me. She then mumbled something. I assumed she was asking for my passport, so I gave it to her. She finally spoke and said 45. $45 is the fee for the application, and I paid in cash. She then told me to come back tomorrow and gave me a ticket. Luckily I did read about the Visa application process online and knew I had to return the following day after 2:00.

On Wednesday I returned to the Consulate, and this time I had a better idea of what I had to do. I walked up to the window, and the same lady was sitting there. I handed her my ticket, and she gave me passport. No words were exchanged.

The who process was a lot simpler then what the recruiter had made it seemed. I spent less then 5 minuets in the consulate in the two days combined. So now I have my Visa and in 19 days I will be leaving!!! Time to get packing :)

4 comments:

  1. That is so exciting I am happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That was the fastest Visa application I’ve ever read or heard about. You didn’t even have a hard time lining up, which most often happens when you’re applying for Visa. Well, I think that’s because there are just few people applying that day. Anyway, how was your trip?

    >Milagros Kilduff

    ReplyDelete