Saturday, June 25, 2011

Immigration


On Monday, my co-teacher and I went to Suwon to apply for my alien card. We took the subway there and then took a bus for 20 minutes to the immigration office. I didn’t make an appointment prior to going because I was having an error with the computer. We where prepared to wait for a few hours. Luckily when we got there, there were only four people ahead of me.

By the time I had filled out my application, my turn was up. The application process was easy. All I needed was: my health check from the hospital, the paperwork my school prepared, passport, copy of visa, photo (passport size), and the application. I gave all the paper work to the representative and he told my co-teacher what to do. I was very grateful to have my co-teacher there because I am not sure if I would have been able to apply for the card. We went to another side of the office, where I paid for postage so that my card could be mailed to me. Then I went to the next window to pay for a copy of my visa. Then we went back to the first window and I paid 10,000 won for the application fee.

My alien card should be mailed to me in one month, which is July 18th. So until then no internet, no bank account, and no pay check! I did everything timely, but this process is just so long. The first week I had my health check, but it took 10 days to get the results. I got the results on Friday and on Monday I went to immigration. Immigration used to only take one week, but there was a change in the process. Maybe they had some cut backs, but anyways now it takes a month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment